Saturday, April 28, 2012

Savannah Georgia and Fort Pulaski

Still working our way north we ended up near Savannah Georgia and spent two days visiting the city.  First we headed to River Street where we boarded a mock stern wheeler for a 1 1/2 hour tour of the river.  Not a good history tour as it was mostly about the growth of the port of Savannah. 

It did give us the chance to see the old dock area from a distance and it was a beautiful day for a boat ride.

This is the 3rd or 4th bridge like this that we have seen in our tour of the country but it still remains a marvel in engineering.  We did not cross over this one as we decided not to go to Hilton Head.

Love this shot with the sun glistening off the cables with the blue sky as a back drop.  This is similar to one of the copper hat bands that I designed.

Our second day touring the city we purchased an on/off tour trolley ticket and learned a great deal of  the history of this city.  One of Jackie's must see places was the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low who was the founder of the Girl Scouts.  The building is now the headquarters of the Girl Scouts USA and they give tours.  Most of the furnishings are original.  Juliette (or Daisy, as she was known by her friends) was an artist and many of her paintings and sculptures are in the home.  The tour was excellent and it was exciting being there just days after the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts.

Not only did we take a tour of the house we had the pleasure of touring her garden where we got our picture taken with this monument.

We could go on and on about our visit to Savannah but if you are really interested, head for it does have a very interesting history.  We could post another 25 pictures just around town but it's time to move on to another location with lots of our country's history.

It's called Fort Pulaski National Monument, Georgia where the day we visited the 150th year celebration of the beginning of the Civil War was in full force complete with a full scale reenactment including the shooting of canyons, both ways.

Construction began in 1829 and took 18 years to complete at the cost of 1 million dollars and required over 25 million bricks.  Before the fort was garrisoned it was taken over by the Georgia militia. 

The top of the wall had over 40 guns positions...

and close to that many below and behind 7' thick walls.  The grooves in the floor from the aiming wheels still exist.

Even in the mid 1800's the US Government was building motes.

In 1862 the Union troops took over the surrounding area and set up 36 guns, two shown here, aimed at the fort and with the new style of guns bombarded the fort until the south raised the white flag and it was again in Union hands.

A little loud but what a show to see.  Hard to picture over 36 guns this size and larger all going off over 30 hours.

To be continued...

No comments: